Feedback and support
1. Why is NSERC moving to a new Research Portal?
As part of our process of continuous improvement, we are committed to simplifying the application process. NSERC's Research Portal provides a single point of entry for applicants, reviewers, committee members, institutions and partners. The Research Portal is used to manage application and peer review processes, acceptance of awards, notification of results and reporting. It is compliant with the Government of Canada's standards for accessibility, usability, and interoperability.
2. Does the Research Portal apply to all NSERC programs?
Not currently. NSERC is phasing in the Research Portal starting with Discovery Grants (Individual and Team) and all the program elements for the Subatomic Physics Grants suite. Other programs will be migrated to the Research Portal in coming years.
We will advise you well in advance of other funding opportunities migrating to the Research Portal. In the meantime, applicants to other programs will continue to use the On-line System.
3. Why do I have two accounts, one for the Research Portal and another for the CCV?
NSERC's Research Portal and the CCV are two separate systems, each with its own portal, which NSERC is adopting concurrently. The Research Portal is based on a proven software platform configured to NSERC's needs, and is administered in-house.
The CCV is a web-based application that provides a single, common approach to gathering CV information required by a network of federal, provincial and not-for-profit research funding organizations, and which facilitates application by users to participating agencies, including NSERC.
4. How do I create an account for the Research Portal?
Go to the Create Your Account Profile page and follow the instructions.
5. What should I do if "Password Recovery" fails?
Contact us if you cannot recover your password. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST).
6. How do I re-activate a locked account?
Contact us if your account has been locked. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST).
7. How do I change my e-mail address?
Sign into the Research Portal, click on Profile in the top menu and select “Change Password”.
8. What browsers are supported by the Research Portal?
9. How do I turn off "Compatibility View" for Internet Explorer 9 and 10?
In Compatibility View, Web sites are displayed as if you were viewing them in a previous version of Internet Explorer, which will often correct display and/or functionality problems. If Internet Explorer recognizes a web page that isn't compatible, you'll see the Compatibility View button on the Address bar.
To disable this feature, select the "Compatibility View" button on the address bar. This will change the icon from a solid colour to an outline.
10. Can I use my Web browser's menu to navigate the Research Portal?
To avoid losing any unsaved information, do not use your browser's navigation tools (e.g. "Back", "Forward", "Refresh" and "Reload" buttons).
11. How do I know which fields are mandatory in the Research Portal?
The mandatory fields are marked as "required". Follow the specific funding opportunity instructions for guidance.
12. How do I create an application in the Research Portal?
Within the "Applicant" tab, select "Create application". Choose a funding opportunity from the list, and then select "Create" on the right hand side.
13. What should I do if the funding opportunity I am looking for is not listed?
Contact us if you are having difficulty finding an application form for a funding opportunity. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST).
14. How do I change the language of my application?
You can set your language preferences in the "Application" heading within the "Identification" section.
15. Is my data saved when I move from one step to the next?
Yes. However, to avoid losing any unsaved information, do not use your browser's navigation tools (e.g. "Back", "Forward", "Refresh" and "Reload" buttons).
16. Can I cut and paste information to complete text boxes?
Yes. Cutting and pasting information will save you time.
17. What is the definition for each message to identify the status of my application?
18. How do I preview and print my application?
You can preview and print both your full application and NSERC CCV in PDF format via the Research Portal. After selecting the "Preview" button at the bottom of each page, you will see the printing options.
While your data may be reorganized to serve specific needs (e.g., peer reviewers), this step confirms exactly what information you are submitting to NSERC.
Refer to the Canadian Common CV - Frequently Asked Questions.
19. I need help using the Research Portal. Who do I contact?
Follow the specific program instructions to guide you through the Research Portal.
Contact us for support. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST).
20. How can I submit feedback on the Research Portal?
Your feedback on the Research Portal is important to us. Share your comments and suggestions via the "Report this page" link located on all pages within the Research Portal.
21. What is the maintenance schedule for the Research Portal?
The Research Portal is generally unavailable during these times:
22. Will my information be lost as a result of changes or upgrades to the Research Portal?
The Research Portal is continuously improving based on feedback received from the research community. Changes or upgrades to the system do not compromise your information.